“Full Flavor of the Bayou Tour” – an immersive experience
A kayak & canoe eco tour just outside New Orleans
Experience the full story of the our wetlands in a eco-friendly low impact way. Visit a swamp, marsh, bayou & the Louisiana estuary system all within a single tour. Our top rated guides will stop along the way to tell you all about the ecology down here in south Louisiana.
$59 per adult, $35 per child
Transportation Available – Fresh Po-boys options available on this tour – Drive time is about 40 minutes
Follow our guide in your own canoe or kayak down the natural bayou which feeds into Lake Pontchartrain, this bayou is the only undeveloped bayou left leading to the lake. Along the way your guide will stop to give detailed info about our bayous, swamps, and Louisiana’s wetland Eco system. Once at the lake, we will enjoy a light mid-tour snack (included) and for those who want, you may take a wade in the lake. You may also opt to have us pick up a heartier PO-boy sandwich for you! or bring your own to enjoy on this small group swamp tour.
Depending on the season wildlife consists of ibises, egrets, herons, eagles, alligators, turtles, and more. Osprey can often been seen diving for dinner in the bayou or the lake. Their nests are visible from the bayou with young being raised in the springtime. Woodpeckers and assorted song birds are seasonal visitors to the living and dead cypress trees visible from the bayou.
Reservations required, if you do not use our transportation detailed driving directions will be emailed in the confirmation email. We currently use a public launch near Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville, La.
- New Orleans style laid back tour pace, no rush tour. We take the time to stop and enjoy the wildlife.
- Average tour size is just 8 paddlers
- Drinking water, locally made snack, and waterproof cases for phones all included in the tour price
- Tour lasts 3 to 4 hours including a mid paddle break but not including the transit time
- Choose between canoes or kayaks
- No experience required for kayaks, some experience recommended for canoes
- Per paddler weight limit of 275 lbs (124.7 kg)
- Reservations required
What You Bring
- Shoes that you do not mind getting wet
- Comfortable clothing for being active. We highly recommend a hat in warmer months.
- A sense of adventure
What We Bring
- Professional, knowledgeable and passionate guides
- Canoes and kayaks and all paddling equipment
- Waterproof cases for phones or compact cameras
- Waterproof bags for larger items (purses, backpacks, etc.)
- A mid-paddle snack
- Drinking water
- Rain gear and bug spray, if needed
- Po-boy (traditional New Orleans sandwich) lunch made fresh by a local shop just before the tour
- Transportation from New Orleans – from two convenient pickup locations
- $59 per adult, $35 per child (6 to 12)
- (optional) Transportation from New Orleans for just $15 per person